Beating the stress on moving day
Moving home is regarded as one of the most stress moments in life and it's true, here at House Removals Worldwide we have moved many people in and out of their homes and sometimes it has ended in tears as the smallest delay or error can be blown well out of proportion.
The easiest way to remove the stress from moving day is to plan ahead, think about what you need to do before your move and organise yourself and your time to get these tasks down. No matter how small the job is, anything that you can do before the move date will benefit you.
Here are a few ideas of how to spend some of your time preparing for the move:
8 weeks before...
- Begin de-cluttering your home, it may be a painful process however it's an important one
- Start collecting boxes, bags, old newspapers and any other packing materials you can
- Get some quotes from different removal firms in the area where you are moving from and where you are moving too
- Check that they have the relevant insurance to cover your valuables in transit
6 weeks before...
- If you are renting your property, make sure you give notice to your landlord
- If you are buying new furniture for your new home, order these for delivery as soon as possible after your arrival
- Book time off work, give yourself a few days to make sure you have time to sort everything out
- Tell your friends and family of your move if you haven't already done so and try to enlist some help from them to help you move or to look after the kids and pets on the day of the move
4 weeks before...
- Begin dismantling any furniture that you do not require and start to pack away non-essential goods such as books, DVD's and ornaments etc
- Clear out the shed/garage/loft etc
- Notify companies about your change of address
2 weeks before...
- Get in contact with your estate agent to arrange a time to collect the keys to your new property
- Confirm details with your removal firm
- Keep packing, leave only the essential items until last
- Arrange for your mail to be redirect, this usually takes up to 5 working days
The day before...
Make sure that you have packed everything and all boxes are clearly labelled with the contents, it is also a good idea to pack a few things to keep to yourself, such as:
- Essentials: Change of clothes, toiletries, sleepwear etc.
- Kitchen essentials: Kettle, tea, coffee, cereal, biscuits, cutlery, cups, bowls and sugar
- DIY: Screwdrivers, allen keys, scissors and a torch
- Personal documents, pen and paper
Make sure your phone is fully charged and keep your phone charger handy just in case. Once you have completed all of this you will make moving day look like a walk in the park!